Valentino Rossi tests positive for Covid-19

Seven-time MotoGP world champion Valentino Rossi said on Thursday (Friday in Malaysia) he has tested positive for coronavirus and will miss this weekend’s Grand Prix of Aragon. The 41-year-old Italian said he could also miss next week’s Teruel Grand Prix at the same circuit in Spain. “Unfortunately, this morning I woke up and I was not feeling good. My bones were sore and I had a slight fever, so I immediately called the doctor who tested me twice,” said Rossi in a statement on Instagram. “The quick PCR test result…

Read More

Shape up or ship out, told Moto3 racer, Khairul Idham

National Moto3 racer, Khairul Idham Pawi will be removed from the Petronas Sprinta Racing team if he fails to reach the top 15 position in the World Motorcycle Grand Prix Championship (MotoGP) this season. The warning was issued by the team’s principal, Datuk Razlan Razali who was disappointed with the performance displayed by Khairul who is fondly known as Super KIP after three Moto3 races this season. He said that the remaining 11 Moto3 World Championship races this season will determine whether the 21-year-old rider will continue to represent the team next…

Read More

Mercedes F1 boss backs Hamilton on racial injustice

Mercedes team boss Toto Wolff has given six-times Formula One champion Lewis Hamilton his full backing for the passionate condemnation of racial injustice after the death of George Floyd. Hamilton spoke to millions of followers on social media of his rage and disbelief at the killing of the unarmed black man, who died in Minneapolis after a white U.S. police officer knelt on his neck. Wolff told reporters that his racing driver, Formula One’s first black champion, had taught him a lot about racial inequality. “He has asked me the…

Read More

Motorcycling revs up for new norms

Teams competing in the Malaysia Cub Prix Championships are geared up for “new norms” as a result of the Covid-19 pandemic. The government has named motorsports as one of a handful allowed to operate behind closed doors under the Conditional Movement Control Order (CMCO). However, race organisers must follow strict guidelines including social distancing and thorough sanitisation of venues, among others. Petronas Sprinta Yamaha-CKJ Racing technical manager Syafari Saad said his team are ready to follow the standard operating procedure (SOP) as long as they can race. “Our team do…

Read More

F1 driver ‘shutdown’ extended to more than 2 months

he coronavirus enforced shutdown period for Formula 1 drivers has been extended from 35 to 63 consecutive days, the International automobile federation (FIA) announced. The figure had originally been set at a maximum of 21 days as the season was suspended in March after the cancellation of the Australian Grand Prix. “Fifty days after the start of their shutdown period, upon application by a competitor, and subject to the prior written approval of the FIA, each competitor may use the services of a maximum of ten personnel to work remotely…

Read More

A road paved with worries

Anxiety is running deep in the Malaysian motorsports community as they have no clue whether racing events will be allowed after the Movement Control Order (MCO) is lifted. The Health Ministry recently indicated that they would prefer a ban on all events and mass gatherings for six months to a year after the MCO to control the spread of Covid-19. The motorsports community, however, hope that if there are restrictions, racing events will still be allowed behind closed doors as the livelihoods of about 3,000 people in the industry could…

Read More

Silverstone can hold back-to-back F1 races, says track boss

British Grand Prix organisers said Sunday they could host two consecutive races if required at Silverstone in an effort to help salvage the coronavirus-hit world championship. So far nine of the 22 races have either been cancelled or postponed with the French and Belgian races tipped to join the abandoned list. That would leave the Austrian Grand Prix on July 3 as the delayed season-opener with the British Grand Prix scheduled to follow two weeks later. However, on Sunday, Silverstone managing director Stuart Pringle said discussions were already taking place…

Read More

Jazeman pays tribute to Sir Stirling

Sir Stirling Moss was the first Briton to win a Formula 1 race and not many up and coming racing drivers can claim to have sat down and chatted with the legend. Malaysia’s Jazeman Jaafar can. Moss died on Sunday at the age of 90 following a long illness. He is widely regarded as the greatest motor racing driver never to become the F1 world champion, finishing runner-up four times and third three times. Jazeman took to Facebook to post a short tribute to the racing icon immediately after his…

Read More

SRT give some leeway to sponsors due to Covid-19

PETRONAS Yamaha Sepang Racing Team (SRT) have allowed some of their sponsors to delay payments to the team but admitted that the ‘force majeure’ clause in future contracts will have to be redefined. SRT team principal Datuk Razlan Razali disclosed that their sponsors are still with the team for now despite the Covid-19 pandemic threatening to completely wipe out the MotoGP season. “At the moment, none of our sponsors have pulled out and we are grateful that they are still with us,” said Razlan. “However, we have a few small…

Read More

Covid-19 derails Super GT at Sepang

THE coronavirus has put the brakes on the Super GT Malaysia Festival. Initially scheduled for July 16-19 at the Sepang International Circuit, the Super GT event has now been detoured into a yet-to-be confirmed date. This was announced by GT Association Co Ltd. (GTA), organiser of the international GT series on Monday, following the escalating Covid-19 pandemic. The GTA’s decision has also caused round 5 of the series at Sepang to be rescheduled, HARO Sports & Entertainment Sdn Bhd said regretfully the Super GT Malaysia Festival will be deferred to…

Read More