‘Declare M-League season null and void’

THE FA of Malaysia (FAM) yesterday admitted that cancelling this season’s M-League is one of the options if the Covid-19 crisis drags on.

FAM president Datuk Hamidin Amin, who also helms the Malaysia Football League (MFL), said apart from that, they have also discussed on shortening the duration and changing the format of the M-League and other competitions in the country.

FAM and MFL’s priority is the safety of teams, players, coaches, fans and other support staff, and they will adhere to all guidelines set by the Health Ministry and other related government agencies.

Hamidin said all questions will be answered next week in a press statement.

The press release will touch on wage cuts and options regarding football competitions.

Earlier, FAM and MFL had placed three possible dates (May 1, June 1 or July 1) for the competitions to resume.

“Yes, we have discussed many possibilities. Declaring the season null and void, and shortening the duration of competitions are among the options,” said Hamidin yesterday.

“We (FAM and MFL) have been brainstorming for the last one month on options for all competitions, including the M-League.

“We are also working very closely with Fifa and the Asian Football Confederation.

“Next week, we will issue a press statement when we finalise everything. It will also touch on wage cuts (of players and coaching staff).

“For now, we are 90 per cent prepared with our report. We have done our extensive research and study, and also consulted the relevant parties.

“Among the things we have looked into include the possible extension of the Movement Control Order (MCO), a ban on mass gatherings for a stipulated time after the MCO is lifted, and decisions or guidelines by Fifa and AFC.”

Hamidin said both FAM and MFL will not make hasty decisions as safety is paramount for now.

“We are always checking with officials from the government, including the Health Ministry.

“If mass gatherings are banned for a stipulated time after the MCO lifted, we will check with the ministry whether football can be played without fans.

“From there, we will make a decision. We will only resume competitions once we get a go-ahead from the government,” he added.

For the record, the M-League and other local competitions were suspended on March 16, two days before the MCO was enforced in the country.

Only four rounds of matches have been completed so far in the Super League and Premier League.

The current MCO expires on April 28 but it could be extended if the Covid-19 is not contained.

Related posts