Professional football players in the country have been told not to abuse the break for the movement control order imposed by the Malaysian Government.
The Professional Footballers Association of Malaysia (PFAM) said all players have to be responsible and limit their movements and not travel within the country unnecessarily.
All players have been given training programmes to keep themselves fit and competitive, while at home.
In a statement, PFAM deputy president Shahrom Abdul Kalam said players should not “take advantage” of the break but follow the guidelines issued by the Malaysian Football League (MFL).
“PFAM urges everyone to be responsible during this period, ” said Shahrom. “Any player who exhibits symptoms of Covid-19 should immediately get himself checked before anything untoward happens.
On Tuesday, the MFL issued a guideline urging clubs not to hold friendlies or training during the order period. Foreign players are not allowed to leave the country, as the Government has imposed a travel lockdown.
The movement control order was announced by Prime Minister Tan Sri Muhyiddin Yassin on Monday as the Government looks to contain the infection, which has hit hundreds of thousands around the world.
Shahrom has also urged teams to follow the guidelines issued by MFL and by the Government.
“Without any prejudice, we hope these guidelines are taken seriously to ensure the safety and health of all players and officials. We want to stop the spread of this infection.”
So far, no player from the domestic league has been infected by Covid-19. In Europe, several players have publicly stated that they are positive of Covid-19.
Juventus midfielder Blaise Matuidi, who won the 2018 World Cup with France, is the latest player to have been contracted the diseases.
Besides Matuidi, his teammate defender Daniele Rugani, Arsenal manager Mikel Arteta, Chelsea winger Callum Hudson-Odoi, Valencia’s defender Ezequiel Garay and Eliquim Mangala and Sampdoria’s midfielder Albin Ekdal have all tested positive.